If you’re like most people, you probably have your phone set to vibrate or make a sound when you receive a text message. But did you know that you can actually set individual text tones for different contacts on your Android phone? It’s a really useful feature to have, especially if you want to be able to quickly identify who is texting you without even looking at your phone. So how do you do it? Read on to find out!
How to set text tones for individual contacts
If you want to set a unique text tone for an individual contact on your Android device, there are a few different methods you can use.
One way is to open up the contact in your address book and tap on the edit icon (this will vary depending on your device and which app you’re using). From here, you should be able to scroll down and find the “ringtone” or “text tone” option. Selecting this will allow you to choose a specific tone for that contact.
Another method is to go into your phone’s main settings menu and look for the “sounds” or “sound & notification” option. Once you’re in there, scroll down until you see the “text messages” or “SMS” section. In this section, you should be able to set a default text tone for all contacts, as well as an individual text tone for specific contacts.
Finally, if you’re using a third-party messaging app like Hangouts or WhatsApp, chances are that it has its own built-in options for setting custom text tones for individual contacts. So definitely check those settings menus as well!
How to set a default text tone
Assuming you’re using a standard Android Messages app:
1. Open the Android Messages app
2. Tap the three dots in the top right corner and select “Settings”
3. Tap “Advanced”
4. Tap “Default notification sound”
5. Select the tone you want from the list
How to silence text messages
If you’re not a fan of your phone constantly beeping or vibrating with incoming text messages, there is a way to silence them. You can either turn off notifications for all texts, or just set an individual text tone for specific contacts.
To turn off text message notifications entirely:
Open the Messages app. Tap the three dots in the top right corner. Select Settings. Tap Notifications. Toggle off the Allow Notifications option.
Now you will no longer receive any notification sound or vibration when you receive a text message. If you want to be able to see that you’ve received a message, but don’t want any noise or vibration associated with it, you can enable the LED indicator in the same Notifications settings menu. Just toggle on the Pulse Notification Light option.
To set an individual text tone for a contact:
Open the Contacts app and select the contact you want to assign a custom text tone to. Tap the Edit button in the top right corner of the screen. Scroll down and tap Ringtone under Phone ringtone. Select the custom ringtone you want to assign to this contact from the list of options. Tap OK when prompted.
How to turn off vibration for texts
To turn off vibration for texts on your Android device, follow these steps:
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Tap Sound & vibration.
3. Under “Vibrate when,” tap Off.
4. You can also turn off haptic feedback (vibration) for your keyboard by going to Settings > System > Languages & input > Virtual keyboard > Gboard > Preferences and turning off Vibrate on keypress.
Tips for setting up your text tones
If you’re like most people, you probably have your phone set to vibrate or make a generic sound when you receive a text message. But why settle for the default notification when you can customize it to better suit your needs?
Here are some tips for setting up your text tones:
1. Choose a sound that’s distinctive enough that you’ll be able to hear it, even if you’re in a noisy environment. Something with a high pitch is usually best.
2. Consider using a music file or recording as your text tone. This can be a fun way to personalize your phone and make it more unique.
3. Make sure the sound file is compatible with your phone. Not all audio files will work on all phones, so check before you try to use one.
4. If you want to use a custom ringtone for specific contacts, you can do that in most Android apps by going into the contact’s details and selecting a different ringtone from the list of options.
We hope you found this guide on how to set individual text tones on Android helpful. Whether you want to have different tones for different contacts or just want to have a unique tone for your texts, this guide should help you get it done. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below.