How to Fix “Failed to Obtain IP Address” Error on Android
Trying to connect to the wifi and all you get to see is the “Failed to obtain IP address” error on Android? If yes, then I am here to help you out.
Failed to obtain IP address is one of the common issues that we usually face. However, the issue does not appear way too often. And you usually get this error when your router fails to assign your Android device an IP address after you enter your wifi password.
So the question is how to fix “Failed to obtain IP address” error on Android? Well, in this article, I am going to talk about different methods that will help you to fix failed to obtain an IP address.
How to fix “Failed to obtain IP address” error on Android
While it is hard to say why this issue is appearing on your Android device. Since there can be quite a lot of reasons behind this. But fixing the issue is not as hard as it seems. And you can get rid of this error by following these methods:
1. Forget network
The first thing that you can try out is to forget the network. By doing this, your device will forget your wifi network. And you will need to sign in to your device again. To forget the network on your device, you will need to follow these steps:
- First of all, open the Settings app.
- Then go to the Network and the Internet.
- Over here, select wifi.
- Then you will find a list of wifi networks. Simply long-press on the network that you wish to forget.
- Then select“Forget network.”
Once done, sign in to the wifi network again and see if it has solved the failed to obtain IP address error on Android or not.
2) Turn Airplane mode on and off
The next thing that you can try out is to put your phone into the Airplane mode and then turn it off. Simply pull down the Notification panel then tap on the Aeroplane icon. Then leave the setting enabled for a few seconds, then disable airplane mode off and try to connect to the wifi network and see if it has solved the issue.
3) Restart the router
Another simple thing that you can do is restart your router. There is a possible chance that something is wrong with your wifi router only. Hence, your Android device is failing to connect to the wifi network.
In this case, you should power off your router for a while and then plug it back. After that, try to connect to the wifi network and see if it has solved the issue or not.
As well as, you can also consider resetting your router. Most of the routers come with a reset button. However, for all the reset guide, I would recommend you to check your router’s official documentation or help guide.
4) Clear Google Play Services cache
As we are troubleshooting our Android device, so it would be a good idea to clear Google Play Service cache. As it is connected to so many things around your phone. And by restarting the app can fix a bunch of problems. So go ahead and give it a try:
- At first, open the Settings app.
- Then go to “Apps & notifications.”
- After that, you have to search for “Google Play Services” and tap on it.
- Then select storage.
- Next, tap on clear cache, and you are done.
- Finally, try connecting to the wifi again and see if it has solved the “Failed to obtain IP address” error for you or not.
5) Assign a static IP address
You can also consider assigning a static IP address to your device and see if it has solved the issue for you or not. To do this, you will need to follow these steps:
- At first, launch the Settings app.
- Then go the Network and the Internet.
- Tap on Wifi.
- Now long press on the network that you are trying to connect to.
- Then select modify network.
- Now you have to select “Show advanced options”.
- Then look for “IP settings” and select “Static.”
- Now, over here, you will find an IP address. Simply change the last number of any number between one to 225. For example, you can replace it with 5.
- Finally, try connecting to the wifi and see if it has fixed the issue for you or not.
6) Use WPA2-PSK encryption
There are devices that do not work well with certain types of encryption, including AES and TKIP. So in case, if your Router is using any of these settings, then switch to WPA2-PSK. Also, for all your Router related settings, I would advise you to check your Router’s help guide.
7) Is the MAC filter on?
Wifi administrators often use Mac Addresses to whitelist or blacklist devices on their network. So in case if your device Mac address is not on the whitelist, you will not be able to connect to the network. So, in this case, you can simply turn off your Router’s MAC address filter, or you can add your device Mac Address to the whitelist. And then see if it is working for you or not.
8) Factory data reset
Finally, if nothing works out for you, then the factory reset is the only thing that you can try out. However, before the factory reset, try to connect some other device to the same network and see if it is working for you or not.
If it is working, then factory reset is the way to go. Also, if you are performing the factory reset, do take a proper backup as it will delete everything.
Once, you have your backup follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Select “System.”
- Select “Advanced options.”
- Select “Reset options.”
- Select “Erase all data (factory reset).”
- Select “Reset phone.”
So that was all for your question How to fix “Failed to obtain IP address” error on Android. I hope this has solved your issue. In case if there is any problem you are facing or have any questions do comment below.